The concept of baking with soda pop was recommended to me by a house guest I had recently. He reminisced about the 7-Up cake his mother used to make for him. I’m not sure why I hadn’t considered baking with pop before – I certainly cook with it (slow cooker pork, anyone?), and I’ve baked sparkling wine cupcakes for New Years. So naturally I had to grab my favorite carbonated beverage and give it a whirl.
Ginger ale always feels like a treat for me. Growing up, the only time I would ever get it was on an airplane (read: family vacation)… so my brain likes to associate it with feelings of excitement and joy. Cut to a discovery of a recipe posted by SprinkleBakes, one of my favorite baking blogs. I took her base cupcake recipe and made a few minor alterations.
I did make her frosting, but didn’t care for it, and ended up making my own ginger buttercream that I felt gave these cupcakes a bit more of a kick that they needed. To top them off, I took some modeling chocolate and made some gold coins from the game, Lords of Waterdeep.
These cupcakes have a great vanilla base with a slight ginger ale twist, accompanied by a buttercream that gives a slightly spicier kick of ginger.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup ginger ale
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the vanilla and eggs, one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ginger together.
- Stir 1/3 of the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Repeat until fully incorporated.
- In the now empty bowl, whisk together the sour cream and ginger ale. It should be fizzy.
- Stir the ginger ale mixture into the batter.
- Fill cupcake liners about half way. The batter should make about 18 cupcakes.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer on high for a few minutes until butter turns very pale.
- Mix in the vanilla and ground ginger.
- Mix in half the powdered sugar, then half the heavy cream, then repeat.
- Frost the cupcakes after they have completely cooled.
Adapted from Sprinklebakes Recipe